Buying a home or moving to a new city can be a major cause for celebration!
Whether you are celebrating a friend or family member (or even yourself), this gift guide has practical, sentimental, and fun options for any budget.
This post contains affiliate links, which may generate a small commission for me, at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products & services I love. If you have questions, you can find the full site terms & conditions here.
1. “Make a house a home” gift basket
One of the best ways to help your loved one(s) get settled into their new spot is to give them all the cozy things!
You can combine anything that smells good or feels nice into a “cozy basket”:
- Candles (or other scent products, like essential oils)
- Nice hand soaps
- Their favorite coffee, tea, or wine
- A blanket or throw pillow
2. Cleaning supplies kit
Maybe not as “fun” as other housewarming gifts but definitely necessary.
One of the first tasks on a new homeowner’s list is to clean almost everything in sight 🙂
Consider stocking them with supplies like:
- All-purpose cleaner and/or wipes
- Dusting spray
- Glass cleaner
- Mopping supplies
- Dish soap
- Paper towels
For an all-natural guide, check out my favorite recipes here. Also, here are tons of great ideas for cleaning and organizing supplies!
3. Home supplies basket
Whether you combine these items with the cleaning supplies above or make a stand-alone basket, home supplies are a huge help, too!
Depending on what your friend/family member may already have, think:
- Batteries (all kinds)
- Basic tools – tape measure, hammer, screw driver, etc.
- Picture hanging kit
- Packing tape & labels
- Trash bags
- Box cutter
- First aid kit
4. Your help!
Offer your help in whatever way makes the most difference:
- Helping to pack or unpack
- Helping with the move
- Taking their children and/or pets for the day
- Bringing a meal to take care of dinner (see 10 Meals to Take to Others for some helpful ideas!)
You can simply offer your help in conversation or you can make it fun by making a “coupon” for them to redeem. 🙂
This is a huge way to help practically and relieve some of the stress of moving.
5. A personalized ornament
I’m a little biased for marking special occasions with a Christmas ornament, because that’s my family tradition for travel souvenirs or major life changes 🙂
But it really is a wonderful gift that is low-clutter, sentimental, and supportive.
- Hand-stamped metal
- Custom painted
This also makes a wonderful gift for the “first Christmas” in their new home.
6. Personalized return address labels or stamp
I can’t decide if the ornament or these return address gifts are my favorite…
Having pre-printed return address labels or a reusable self-inking stamp is such a thoughtful & practical way to celebrate a new home!
I always keep return address labels on hand because it feels so much easier when I need to mail something.
7. Gift card tree
If you are part of a group wanting to pitch in for a gift, a set of gift cards is a wonderful idea!
Gather gift cards in any amount to stores that are commonly helpful for settling into a new home:
- Lowe’s, Home Depot, or any other home supply store
- Hobby Lobby, TJ Maxx, or a favorite home decor spot
- Amazon, Walmart or Target for all those miscellaneous needs!
- A favorite restaurant for easy dinner pick-up
- Certificates for home services like cleaning, pressure washing, lawn care, etc.
8. A personalized cleaning schedule
This might not seem celebratory but it could be a huge relief if your loved one is moving into a home for the first time or into a larger home that requires more care.
When we moved from our apartment to a home that was twice as large, I felt overwhelmed by how I was going to keep it clean and I felt unsure what was involved with owning a home.
That’s actually why I created Home, Clean Home – my resource that includes a personalized cleaning schedule generated online from over 110 household tasks.
To give this as a gift, you can:
- Give your loved one the amount associated with the product and direct them to purchase & generate their schedule here
- Or you can purchase it but enter their email address so that the product is delivered to them
9. Amazon Echo or Echo Dot
This comes to mind because we recently got one! It may not be the best fit for everyone, but I think having a bluetooth speaker and smart home assistance is such a fun addition to a new home.
I love using it for kitchen timers, entertaining my son with kids music, and asking about the weather.
10. “It’s Good to Be Home” print
This “It’s Good to be Home” print was one of the first things I put up in our first home, and that sentiment felt so right. 🙂 I think it is perfect for gifting, as well.
You can download below 8×10 and 4×4 versions to frame, plus a 4×6 that works well as a card or as a print.
You can give this as a simple stand-alone gift or add it to any above!
Important: You will need to unzip or extract the files before using the individual JPGs.
Other Gift Guides & Resources:
- Your Guide to Meaningful Gifts Without The Stress (+ free planners)
- 10 Practical & Meaningful Gift Ideas for Grandparents
- 25 Postpartum Self-Care Gift Ideas for New Moms (+ printable coupons)
- 8 Mix-&-Match Engagement Gift Ideas (that Aren’t Bridal Magazines!)
- Best Gifts on Amazon – recommendations according to interest & personality
- 6 Clutter-Free Gift Ideas to Give More With Less
- 8 Easy Handmade Gifts